From the lands of princesses, dragons and magic - here are heroes that exist in fantasy settings in the style of Warcraft, Dungeons & Dragons or games such as Zelda.
They may inhabit worlds inspired by mythology, fairy tales or folklore - although some fantasy does merge the "real world" and "fantasy world" in general such franchises (such as Harry Potter) are not traditional Fantasy, in the strictest sense of the word.
Like Sci-Fi, everyone has a unique view on what is and is not Fantasy but as a wiki we narrow the definition considerably in order to prevent the category growing too large.
What We Consider Fantasy
- The exploits of legendary heroes such as Conan, Hercules, Sinbad, Aladdin, etc.
- Setting based upon fairy tales, mythology or folklore.
- Sword and Sorcerery (the kind of Fantasy found in Zelda, Dungeons & Dragons etc).
What We Do Not Consider Fantasy
- Franchises that blend "real world" and "fantasy world" such as Harry Potter - though obviously a subgenre of Fantasy the list would simply grow too large if we included these types of "soft fantasy".
- Superhero Fiction such as those found in DC and Marvel - although a fantasy/sci-fi subgenre it is better left in "supervillains" or similiar.
- Types of Fantasy that employ heavy use of advanced technology and concepts other than sword and sorcery (countless series - including Pokemon, Digimon and so forth).